Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Sunday, June 19, 2005

what we did to get our priorities right, creating a climate of change

I received my bachelor’s degree from Kansas State University, a great school with, up until recently, I believe the worst record football record of any NCAA Division 1 school. Several years ago now, they brought in a coach named Bill Snyder, who turned the program around to one of the top programs in the nation, but it wasn’t easy. Kansas State football’s only claim to fame was runner-up (read: losing team) in the Independence Bowl in 1982. That was the lone trophy in the trophy case. Not anything to brag about. What Coach Snyder did was to change a mindset, the mindset of the team, the school and the opposing schools K-State was going to play, from being seen as perennial losers to consistent winners, a team not of patsies but one to be feared and respected. Coach Snyder’s task was monumental to say the least, but one he accomplished with amazingly well.

What does this have to do with the church I serve? I stated previously how we had been in a 14 year slide in attendance. CrossRoad (formerly Calvary Baptist Church, the name change is a subject for another time) had a number of difficult issues we went through, attempting to change worship styles, one failed name change, infighting, bickering for the leadership of the church, and finally, an embezzlement that took place over a four year time period. The embezzlement really took its toll, and the blame game and accusations flew everywhere. We were struggling just to survive.

Watching what Coach Snyder did to turn around a football team, I decided the first thing we desperately needed to do was get some victories, no matter how little they might be. We needed to win, and the church needed to see themselves as winners not losers just trying to keep the church doors open. We needed a climate where change was not just acceptable, but expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home