Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, July 22, 2005

How to define success

Let me jump to what is happening currently at the church I serve before continuing. As you are reading this, the question is, is what he is writing about working? Did the church really turn around? Is the church making disciples, realizing the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20)? Let me answer you with this: During the time we (my wife and children) were on vacation something wonderful happened: the church grew. The attendance increased, while I was gone, and increased during the summer, a time when most churches have attendance decreases. And we’re doing that through an outreach program to our neighborhood that we call “Summer Unleashed”. The church is unleashed to go out and be the ambassadors of reconciliation for Christ we were called to be (2Corinthians 5:16-21).

John Maxwell said, “success calls for a successor.” With that in mind, I define success as the church doing ministry even though the pastor is not available. It’s not just leaders who have risen up, it’s everyone. The church is vibrant and active, and they are enjoying the opportunity to reach out to our neighborhood. We are being blessed by people who are joining the church and asking, “What can I do? How can I get involved?” I am in awe of what God is doing. He is bringing the people in to fill the needs we have, and they are doing so with great enthusiasm. It has taken us 6+ years to get here, and the battle was not easy, but the church is actually going back to it’s roots, telling others of the good news of Jesus Christ, making disciples, and changing this area for His Glory.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger James Manning said…

    Hello Pastor,

    Thought I'd drop by and give you the link to my blog. As I mentioned, I talk about everything and at time everybody :) Hope you enjoy it and I'll see ya on Sunday.

    http://peaceonthat.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As many links as you want!

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Learn how to quickly create an RSS feeds with our RSS feeder, for high link popularity and ultimately better search engine rankings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home