Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Change and outreach

The only person who likes change is a wet baby. Billy Crystal

One of the principles of business that I learned was, what made you successful is not what will keep you there. In other words, keep reinventing yourself, or in this case, reinvent the church. We had to (and still must) continually change. The message, that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life, never changes, but how we reach people can and must change. We live in a society that rapidly changes, and the way we used to reach people for Christ doesn’t work. I like what one author said, quoting a pastor friend, “If the 1950’s ever come around again, we’re ready.” Church people tend to think, when referring to those who have not made a commitment to Christ, “they know we’re here.” No, they don’t! I’ve been amazed at how many have new people attending here have said to me, “I didn’t even know there was a church here.” An incredible statement, if you knew the size of our church. The problem is, we’re next to a McDonald’s, and are overshadowed by them. People know longer look for a church when they have problems, we must go to them. But all of that is changing, because we’re getting out of the building and into the neighborhood. I like the slogan on the web site of one church, “The church has left the building!” We are serving our neighborhood, and the results are obvious. Our neighbors are coming! Jesus loves the “sinners”, “heathen”, “lost”, or whatever else you want to call them. His heart is for those who do not know Him. You want to find the will of God? Start loving people, all people. That’s the big change that is taking place. We’re not changing for the sake of change; we’re changing so we can better reach those who don’t yet know Christ.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks. Take a look at www.innertalk.com for change made easy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home