Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Examples of Giving

Len Hall was a man in our church who absolutely loved the Lord. He and his wife, Fay, were pillars of the church for many years. Len faithfully taught Sunday School for over 30 years. He was instrumental in putting together our preschool that was started over 25 years ago, helping to gut a building that had been a shoe store and rebuild it to be a special place for small children. Len was also an evangelist. I recall visiting him once in the hospital during the latter part of his life. He was talking to the nurse about having a relationship with Christ when I entered. He immediately introduced me as his pastor, and told her what a fine church we had. He invited her to worship with us and then continued the conversation around making a commitment to Jesus Christ. He would talk about Jesus with such great enthusiasm and joy, she couldn’t help but be drawn in. She didn’t make a commitment to Jesus, but there was no doubt as to where Len stood and that she could be in that position, too.

Len and Fay also made a commitment to tithing when they were young, and were not afraid to let others know. In fact, they committed to increase their giving beyond the tithe (10%) and at one point shared that they gave 50% of their retirement income. Len was not one to brag, and his purpose for sharing was not to bring attention to himself, but to the goodness of God. They never went without anything. They were one of the most giving, kind couples I have ever met. And as I said earlier, they loved their Lord, and that showed in all they did, including their giving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home