Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, June 08, 2007

God's will and prayer

I talked about praying “God’s will” is not really what Jesus taught yesterday. Is God’s will all that mysterious? Is it so unknowing, unreachable and unfathomable that we have to resign our prayers to “may your will be done”?

Right away, you think of the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13). In the midst of the prayer, Jesus even taught us to pray, “Thy will be done.” Yes, but what is the rest of the phrase? “. . . on earth as it is in heaven.” Jesus defines God’s will by saying that if it’s done or not done in heaven, that’s the way it’s supposed to be here. We, therefore, have permission to pray accordingly, with confidence. Maybe His will isn't as difficult to discern as we might think.

Let’s get specific. Praying God’s will in reference to healing is used too many times to count. I include myself in that group, because I’ve often prayed the same thing. Sometimes the prayer is said because I truly don’t know what else to pray. In standing before a person who is terminal, with the last breaths coming, what else can be prayed? (Forgive me if that sounds like a lack of faith).

Far too often, though, the prayer is prayed because of a lack of faith. We really don’t believe that God can and/or will do something about the given situation for which we are interceding.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home