Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Excuses for God's will

Let me recap the last few days:
The prayer, “God’s will be done” is probably prayed more than other phrase. There is a time for that, and there is a season when that needs to be done. I know Matthew 6 says, “thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. We focus on “thy will be done” and not on the description of “thy will”, which is “on earth as it is in heaven”.

Why do we pray “God’s will be done”?

  • Gets God off the hook if it didn’t turn out the way we wanted
  • Keeps us from praying with fervency and persistence
  • Keeps us from really seeking His will
  • Keeps us from understanding His will
  • Keeps us from pursuing His will
  • Keeps us from praying at all
  • Keeps us from building our faith
  • Keeps God at a distance, where (often) we’re more comfortable. (to pray with more passion means we have to pursue God, we have to hunger for Him to invade our lives. Many don’t want to do that, because God is much safer at a distance, see Exodus 20:18-21)
  • Keeps our image, reputation and pride in tact.
People who are in love and pursue the one they love do so at the abandon of their reputation or image. They lose all perspective of what others think of them.

The ones who passionately pursue the "on earth as it is in heaven" part of "thy will be done" are the ones who receive the blessing. God becomes more important than dignity or reputation.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmm... very interesting post. It actually caused me to think and ask myself some questions. I will pop my head out of my french immersion training with a few thoughts.

    To me, praying God's will is a surrender of my own will. So if I pray that God's will be done, I am in essence saying, "God is big and I am not." Where does that enter in to your thoughts on this subject? Are we to first surrender our own will (obviously) and then pray what we believe should happen? I am very interested to hear what you have to say next.

    Have you figured out what grows in sand yet? If you can find out... I am very interested in bringing with me some supplies for a garden in Africa. It will have to be something that tolerates heat. Let me know what you find out.

    My blog doesn't require you to be a member to comment anymore. I'd love to know what you think about our video postcard that I posted there.

    Sorry for the book here. Have a blessed day!

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great subject Pastor!

    I have been in the middle of studing this very same thing.

    We know by Christ's stripes we WERE healed. SO, why do we ask for God's healing when He has already given it to us? Did the Apostles ask for God to heal or did they just command it done in Jesus Name?

    When we take a business proposition or buy a house, how do we know it's God's will. Obviously it's not in the Bible.

    However, praying in the Spirit lot's and often will reveal the Will of God, I am convinced. The Word says that if we pray according to His Will, we know He hears us. And if we know He hears us, we also know that He will grant our request.

    The number one question to ask when we do not see our requests granted is " What has clogged the channel?"

    Keep up asking the hard questions, we are counting on you...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home