Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Godblog 2 continued

The students at BIOLA are kind, friendly, mannerly and obviously used to people wandering around with a look of lost ness to them. At least it seemed so to me. I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb trying to find where to go, and didn’t get any help from any of the students. But, as with most males, I would not stop and ask for any more directions, I already did that once, and refused to do it again. I finally found the place to register, got registered, received a free book on blogging, and a new leather bound ESV (English Standard Version) version of the Bible, something I’ve wanted to get, but hadn’t yet. Both were great gifts to start the conference with.

Everyone acts as if I’m supposed to know what in the wide world of sports I’m doing when I blog, understanding all the techie stuff. Wrong again. I make this up as I go along. (No, I don’t do that with my sermons, though, for those who are wondering). I asked a couple of questions, one answer I understood, the other I didn’t. I heard the “well, you’re a blogger, so you know all that.” Pride took over. “Oh yeah”, I replied, and faked it well enough to get by, or at least that’s the theory I’m going with.

I sat next to a student from BIOLA during the orientation meeting. We introduced ourselves and proceeded to talk before the session. “You’re a student here?” I asked. “Yes, I am.” Are you in journalism? (I assumed so, since the journalism school was putting the conference on). “No, I’m in film making.” I replied, “So you have a blog?” “No, I don’t even know what a blog is. What is it?” He just burst my bubble, thinking that all college students knew about such a thing.

I had thought that blogging was becoming a little more mainstream than what it is, especially on a college campus. As the sessions go on, the subject of how long blogging has been going on, and the reaction is: three, maybe four years at most.
I am amazed at how new this really is.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope this difficult start turns into a great exploration and the start is the hardest part, hopefully there will be better and better experiences as time goes by.
    V. Schroeder

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.. I found you. I have to say that I think that this is really really neat. I love to blog personally, have been for over a year now. Mostly I blog about homeschool, or challenges in leading a DTS, etc. I think it is a great way for the congregation to get to know you better and to see the drive and direction you are heading for with the church. Way To Go! Come comment on my blog if you have the time!

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Dean said…

    It bugs me that there weren't any sessions established for those who are new to blogging.

    I mean, how can we possibly expect more strength from the Christian chorus of blogs if we don't teach people how to sing?

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blogging is already a part of my life. From a simple time spending activity, blogging has been very much integrated in my system. I am very much contented with this past time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home