Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Favorites list: Kentucky Derby winners

This is Secretariat, winning the Belmont Stakes.

I have wanted to do some fun stuff on Fridays, so with the Kentucky Derby coming up, I'll start with that. I love watching horses run, especially these big races. I'm not really a horse racing fan, but there have been some horses through the years that have been stand outs to me, so here they are, in no particular order.

My Favorite thoroughbreds ( in conjunction with the Kentucky Derby):
Seattle Slew: cool name, great horse to watch
Secretariat: I remember watching the last leg of the Triple Crown, and seeing him pull away to an over 30 length lead, it was phenomenal.
Riva Ridge: the first horse race I remember watching. He became my first favorite.
Funny Cide: great story of a "everyman" horse, trainers, and owners who made their dreams come true
Affirmed and Alydar: these two had epic battles all through the triple crown races, so I had to put both of them together.
Man O’ War: first great horse of the last century. I remember reading about him when I was growing up.
Whirlaway: I just liked the name.

Sea Biscuit: loved the movie, the horse with the big heart

2 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Dave Miller said…

    Nice memories Scott. I too remember Riva Ridge as a great horse, however not a Triple Crown winner. To me the greatest horse was Secretariat, although I often wonder where Sham, the second place horse that year, would stand against many of the other great all time horses.

    The battles between Affirmed and Alydar were legend. The jockey on Affirmed was a little kid named Steve Cauthen.

    One of my favorite Derby's was when Ferdinand, ridden by Bill Shoemaker won. A 20-1 longshot. Phenominal. I think the year was 1986.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger kansasscott said…

    I'm glad you wrote. I could not remember the horse that battled Secretariat. Sham really was a great horse, and would have been more well-known if he had not been born the same year as Secretariat!

    Ferdinand was a great horse, too, and even greater story with Bill Shoemaker riding. That was a good year, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home