Turnaround

Title: turnaround. Why? When I came to Christ, I had to make a turnaround in my life. I am in the midst of a turnaround church, and Christ is still at work turning me around to following Him more closely.

Friday, November 11, 2005

What's next, Jerry?

I have a friend, named Jerry, who has cancer. He was diagnosed with it about four weeks ago, clearly a shock to him as well as all those who know him. He had been walking every day about 2-3 miles, was in good shape, and had no sign of any kind of sickness, especially something as severe as cancer (in the kidney and in the lung, and no, he was not a smoker). His first and only hint that there was something wrong came on a Friday night. He went in to the emergency room that night because he was spitting up blood. He was diagnosed with cancer and had his left kidney removed by the following Wednesday. All through this I’ve gotten to pray and talk with him. What I am watching is a man of faith in action.

Jerry is a recent convert to the cause of Christ. I can remember the early conversations with him as he explored what it meant to be a follower of Christ. He came to church as a curious bystander, and when he said yes to Jesus, he said yes to involvement in the community of faith, choosing to live out his new step of faith. He’s been involved in several ministries at CrossRoad, especially with our summer outreach ministry, and heading the team working on the web site.

Jerry’s first week back to worship with the church family was this past Sunday. I was thrilled to see him, as were all who knew him. He received a rousing cheer when I announced that he was in worship. After the applause subsided I said to him, “What’s next, Jerry?” In his own carefree, laid back style he declared, “Tomorrow.” When the laughter receded we found out that he is going for a consultation on November 21 that would tell him how and what would happen with his chemotherapy treatments.

As I thought about his statement later, I realized the profoundness of his statement. The Bible says no man is promised tomorrow, yet it takes a crisis like this to realize how true that is. His statement blessed me. What is next? Tomorrow. Matthew 6:27 Jesus said, “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” Sometimes we get so anxious about the future, we forget to live in the present, to enjoy life today. Every day is a gift; I’ll never get this again. Thank you, Lord, for today. And thank you, Jerry, for reminding me what is most important, and for showing again, what a man of faith is like. You’re a blessing.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Again, I really enjoy reading your blog! I think it really opens you up to your congregation. They are blessed to have a Pastor who is so candid and honest and reachable. I think that is the best part. This blog makes your feelings and thoughts reachable in a new way. My blog is a sanity saver for sure! www.xanga.com/ywammomma Blessings to you and yours.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger James Manning said…

    Good post, Scot. My mother has MS and been fighting a battle for over 4 years now. When I talk to her I can always tell if she is having a good day or a bad day. She never really complains except for the fact that the medication makes her drowsy. I wonder I would respond given the same crisis.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home